Thursday, April 30, 2009

Knowledge is depressing power?


This is going to be my last blog since this class (Gender and Pop Culture) will be over next week. I would like to reflect on the knowledge that I have gained. The media is being controlled by a small group of white men which explains the miss representation and under representation of all other people.
I have learned that regardless what show or book or magazine one sees and looks at one will always find some inequality. I have wondered "is the world really this bad?" and realized it kind is. This is some depressing knowledge. However, should this stop someone from enjoying life and TV and magazines? Should I stop watching action movies because women are always the damsels in distress and violence is promoted? Should I not read Cosmopolitan anymore because it is sexist? No we should not. We should keep doing these things and learn from them. We should learn and teach the next generation why these things are not ideal. People who are bothered by this should come up with ways to change it.
Because the ones at power now have no reason to change it. They are in power making money. The audience does not seem to mind either since we keep watching and reading.
So do not be discouraged or depressed about the fact that you are not able to blissfully watch sexist TV without realizing that it is sexist anymore. Simply realize it, share the thought and knowledge and do your part to change it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. After taking this Women's studies class, I now see all kinds of sexist things in the world. But this is life and we just have to get over it. I think its good that people stand up against sexism and other things, but this doesn't mean that it will change.

    ReplyDelete